Brits trapped in Sudan begs help from UK government amidst on-going bloodshed

Britons stuck in Sudan’s growing turmoil are still waiting to be rescued, as Rishi Sunak pledged to pursue ‘every avenue to ease the bloodshed’ and protect the safety of those left behind.

SAS personnel evacuated British diplomats and their families as fighting raged around them in war-torn Sudan in a spectacular rescue attempt. 

The elite troop is thought to have accompanied the RAF and the Royal Marines in a “complex and rapid evacuation” from Khartoum following airstrikes that left the capital city without running water or electricity.

Hundreds of people have been slain in a horrific confrontation between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces, a paramilitary group.

British citizens who are still trapped in the midst of the increasing violence have begged the government not to abandon them.

Yesterday, Rishi Sunak committed to pursue “every avenue to end the bloodshed in Sudan” and secure the safety of those who remain in the country.

The Prime Minister said: “UK armed forces have completed a complex and rapid evacuation of British diplomats and their families from Sudan, amid a significant escalation in violence and threats to embassy staff.

“I pay tribute to the commitment of our diplomats and bravery of the military personnel who carried out this difficult operation.

“We are continuing to pursue every avenue to end the bloodshed in Sudan and ensure the safety of British nationals remaining in the country.

“I urge the parties to lay down their arms and implement an immediate humanitarian ceasefire to ensure civilians can leave ­conflict zones.”

See also
Braverman says white people should not feel guilty over historical role in slavery

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said the operation involved more than 1,200 personnel from the British Army, Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force.

Because several targets, such as military headquarters and the presidential palace, are close to residential areas, Khartoum’s 5.4 million citizens have suffered greatly.

Explosions have damaged critical infrastructure, leaving civilians without running water or electricity.

Hospitals have also been targeted, leaving medical personnel scrambling to care for the thousands of people injured since the fighting began.

Two ceasefires were declared, but both were broken as violence between the contending factions continued.